Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Bread Pudding

20 December 2007

Quite sometime ago, I found this website called Blogger's Recipe that has a collection of recipes. Most of them are cooking recipes, and since I'm not a good cook, I don't think I will be trying them out. But on this day, seeing that there were quite a lot of bread left, I tried this healthy bread pudding.


And while waiting for my bread pudding to be done, I started preparing my chocolate chip cookies. There seems to be a lot of different recipes for chocolate chip cookies. I found the most basic one and from here you can adjust the quantities to your own liking.


Recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes 12)

Ingredients
115g butter, softened
115g caster sugar ( I use half caster sugar, half brown sugar)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
175g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/8 tsp salt
175g chocolate chips

Method
1. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and fold in with the chocolate chips.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture on to the prepared baking sheet. Use another spoon to push it onto the tray, if required). Leave plenty of space between the cookies to allow for spreading during baking. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of the fork.
5. Bake the cookies at 180C for about 10-15 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

More tips
1. For chocolate flavour, substitute 1 tbsp cocoa powder for the same quanity of flour.
2. For a chunkier texture, use coarsely chopped chocolate instead of chocolate chips.
3. For mocha flavour, use coffee essence instead of vanilla essence.
4. For nutty flavour, add whole or chopped macadamia nut, walnut or hazelnut.
5. For fruity flavour, add chopped dried fruit, such as raisins, sultanas, etc.